Moon Twp plastic surgeons at Advanced Liposuction Center want to help clients understand Botox better. Perhaps during the recent holiday season you saw the popular movie, “Christmas with the Kranks,” and the hilarious scene where Tim Allen gets Botox injections and then everything he puts in his mouth spills out because he has no facial muscle control. Although the portrayal is humorous, it is completely inaccurate and can discourage clients from seeking this safe and effective method for erasing wrinkles and taking years off your appearance.
Just the Facts
Botox is a naturally occurring protein that is purified in the laboratory and then selectively injected by our expert plastic surgeons into specifically targeted facial muscles. This causes the muscle to relax, thereby eliminating wrinkles, furrows and creases caused by years of frowning, squinting and concentrating. Even the infamous “11” lines between the eyes can be smoothed out with Botox treatments. Botox only affects the muscles that are injected. All essential movement for functions such as eating, kissing and eye opening are preserved.
Safe and Lasting Results
Botox provides natural looking results. Sometimes known as the “liquid facelift,” patients are able to smile, look surprised, frown and show all types of facial expressions, but all without the unwanted lines and wrinkles. Treatments only take about 15 minutes. There is little or no discomfort and patients can resume most normal activities immediately. The beautiful effects of Botox will last approximately 3-4 months. At that time, the muscle relaxant wears off and the treatments need to be repeated.
Popular Treatment Areas
Botox is chosen to improve the appearance in a number of facial areas including: crow’s feet around the sides of the eyes, bunny lines around and under the nose and laugh lines. It can also be used to reduce the width of the jaw and prevent thinning of the lips.
How To Prepare Yourself For Botox Injections?
Botox injections aren’t so invasive, so you won’t need a lot of preparations for it.
Before the treatment you should tell your doctor about any medical problems you are suffering from, since they may cause side effects Or allergies to Botox injections.
Before you go for the treatment make sure your doctor is a professional and experienced person.
Keep your face clean, if needed then wash your face before going and do not forget to remove make up.
Lastly, you must avoid blood thinning medicines before the treatment, they may increase the chances of bruising and swelling.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Botox Injections?
Since Botox injections are a non-invasive treatment it doesn’t have many side effects. However a little bruising, swelling or discomfort is common but don’t worry since they will subside soon.
There are some of side effects too which you might notice:
- Swelling in eyelids
- Frequent headaches
- Dry eyes
- Neck pain
- Flu like symptoms
- Crooked smile
- Pain at the injection site
- Muscle stiffness
- Difficulties in swallowing
In some rare cases infection can also occur if you notice any signs of infection or allergies then call your doctor and get he right treatment done!
How Long Botox Injections Last?
Botox injections are a 15 minute short treatment that last long.
When performed by a professional and experienced doctor the results can last from 3 to 6 months. This may not sound like a long duration but when you will receive the results you will realize how effect Botox injections are.
After 6 months you may need to get treated by Botox once again but the next time you receive the treatment your wrinkles will be less serious as they have been treated already.
What precautions should be taken before and after Botox injections?
Before Botox Injections:
- Consultation: Schedule a consultation with a qualified and experienced practitioner to discuss your goals, medical history, and any concerns.
- Medical History: Provide a comprehensive medical history, including current medications, allergies, and previous cosmetic procedures.
- Avoid Blood Thinners: Avoid medications or supplements that can thin the blood, as they may increase the risk of bruising (if approved by your healthcare provider).
- Inform Practitioner: Inform the practitioner about any history of neuromuscular disorders, allergies, or skin infections.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: If pregnant or breastfeeding, consult with a healthcare professional to determine if Botox is safe during this time.
After Botox Injections:
- Follow Post-Injection Instructions: Adhere to the specific post-injection guidelines provided by the practitioner.
- Avoid Rubbing or Massaging: Refrain from rubbing or massaging the treated area to prevent the spread of Botox to unintended muscles.
- Stay Upright: Remain in an upright position for a few hours after injections to minimize the risk of Botox spreading to unintended areas.
Are there long-term effects or complications associated with repeated Botox treatments?
Repeated Botox treatments are generally considered safe when administered by qualified professionals. However, there are some considerations regarding long-term effects and potential complications:
- Tolerance or Resistance: With repeated treatments, some individuals may develop a degree of tolerance or resistance to the effects of Botox. This can affect the duration of the results.
- Gradual Muscle Atrophy: Long-term, repeated use of Botox might lead to gradual muscle atrophy in the treated areas. This is typically a concern when higher doses or frequent injections are used over an extended period.
- Immune Response: While rare, there’s a theoretical risk of developing an immune response to Botox over time, which could potentially reduce its effectiveness.
- Facial Asymmetry: Inexperienced administration or overuse of Botox can lead to facial asymmetry or unintended effects, emphasizing the importance of seeking qualified practitioners.
You may need to get the treatment again and again but every time you receive it, your results will be even better.
Two other injectables, Dysport and Xeomin, are also available. The plastic surgeon can help you determine which injectable will fulfill your beauty goals. Find out more when you schedule your free consultation at one of our Pittsburgh area offices. Call us today at: 724-683-7581.