At this time of the year at Advanced Liposuction Center, we often have more women and men come to us to explore a solution for varicose veins in their legs. One reason for this is that all the activity of the holiday season can bring pain from varicose veins to the forefront. Being on your feet for long periods of time, whether it’s waiting on long lines at the mall to buy gifts or extra time in the kitchen preparing elaborate holiday meals, puts additional pressure on your veins causing you discomfort. Varicose veins can cause your legs to feel tired and the skin around them can become itchy and irritated. Varicose veins happen because of weakening of the valves in the veins. As blood is being pumped back to the heart some blood leaks through the valve and then pools, creating the unsightly and painful bulge in your vein. Other possible causes of varicose veins are:
- An inherited tendency
- Hormone replacement therapy
A Beautiful Solution
Fortunately, we offer a solution to this condition which will bring relief from pain and greatly improve your appearance. It’s called Sclerotherapy. During this procedure our expert doctors will first apply a topical anesthetic and then give you a series of small injections of a painless sclerosant, which is a chemical that will seal the defective vein from the inside. Your body will naturally redirect blood flow to veins with healthy valves. Usually two to five treatments are all that is necessary to achieve long-lasting results. With this non-invasive procedure, patients are able to return to their normal activities within 24 to 48 hours (although exercise should be avoided for 3 days). In addition to the legs, Sclerotherapy can be used to remove varicose veins on the face, arms, hands and chest.
Can varicose veins reoccur after treatment, and what are the steps to prevent recurrence?
Yes, varicose veins can reoccur after treatment, especially if preventive measures are not taken. While treatment can improve the appearance and symptoms of existing varicose veins, it does not guarantee that new veins won’t develop over time. However, there are steps individuals can take to reduce the risk of varicose vein recurrence:
- Wear Compression Stockings: Wearing compression stockings can improve blood circulation in the legs and help prevent the formation of new varicose veins.
- Stay Active: Regular exercise, especially activities that promote leg movement, can enhance blood flow and reduce the risk of vein problems.
- Elevate Legs: Elevating the legs above heart level for short periods during the day can help reduce swelling and promote blood flow back to the heart.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Being overweight or obese puts extra pressure on the veins, increasing the risk of varicose veins.
- Avoid Prolonged Sitting or Standing: Taking breaks to move around and avoid prolonged periods of sitting or standing can prevent blood from pooling in the veins.
- Avoid Crossing Legs: Crossing legs while sitting can obstruct blood flow and increase pressure on veins.
- Choose Proper Footwear: Wear comfortable shoes with good support to promote healthy circulation.
- Avoid Tight Clothing: Avoid tight clothing, especially around the waist, groin, and thighs, which can restrict blood flow.
- Follow Post-Treatment Instructions: Adhere to any post-treatment guidelines provided by the healthcare provider to optimize recovery and prevent complications.
- Avoid High Heels: Limit wearing high heels, as they can strain calf muscles and impede blood flow.
- Treat Underlying Conditions: Manage any underlying health conditions that can contribute to vein issues, such as obesity or high blood pressure.
- Avoid Hot Baths or Saunas: Excessive heat can dilate blood vessels, potentially worsening vein problems.
If you’re tired of that aching, heavy feeling in your legs at the end of the day and are ready to say goodbye to unsightly varicose veins, contact any of our Pittsburgh area offices for a free consultation by calling: 724-683-7581. You can meet with one of our expert cosmetic surgeons who will examine your veins and tell you about the best option available for eliminating them.