At Advanced Liposuction Center we find that labiaplasty—reducing and/or changing the shape of the outer or inner vaginal lips—is a sensitive subject. Sometimes patients may not feel comfortable asking about this procedure so we have put together some of the most commonly asked questions below so you can get the information you need about labiaplasty.
Q: Who is the ideal candidate for labiaplasty?
A: There are several factors that can affect the size and shape of the labia. In some cases, genetics are the cause for poorly shaped, uneven or protruding labia. Childbirth and aging can also cause thinning and stretching of the tissue in this area. Although in most cases this condition is not harmful to women, it may cause discomfort wearing certain undergarments or during sexual intercourse. Women who are not currently pregnant or nursing and are in overall good health are good candidates for this cosmetic surgery.
Q: How is labiaplasty performed?
A: Our expert cosmetic surgeons will trim and shape the labial tissue. The procedure is done in our Cranberry Township office surgical suite under local anesthesia with mild sedation. It takes approximately 1 hour to complete.
Q: What is the recovery like?
A: Patients will need someone to drive them home after the surgery. Most women experience mild discomfort for only 3 to 4 days after the surgery. A prescription antibiotic ointment must be applied to the area and patients have to be especially gentle and careful the first month after the surgery because of the small, dissolvable sutures used. In most cases, patients can return to work in 2 to 4 days, although exercise and heavy lifting should be avoided for 2 weeks and sexual activity for 4 weeks.
Q: What Are Complications Of Labiaplasty
Just like every other surgery Labiaplasty also has some complications and risk and if you don’t care for yourself during the recovery period then you may have to deal with these side effects:
- Pain during vaginal sex
- Reduced sensitivity
If you notice any of these side effects then do not wait and contact your doctor. If ignored for too long infection can be serious and cause other problems.
Q: Can I still deliver a baby vaginally after a labiaplasty?
A: Yes, labiaplasty does not impede a woman’s ability to deliver a child vaginally.
Can labiaplasty address asymmetry or irregularities in the labia?
Yes, labiaplasty can address asymmetry or irregularities in the labia. Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure designed to reshape or resize the labia minora (inner lips) or labia majora (outer lips) for both aesthetic and functional reasons. Here’s how labiaplasty can address asymmetry or irregularities:
- Reshaping: Labiaplasty allows for precise reshaping of the labia minora to achieve symmetry and address any irregularities.
- Size Adjustment: If one labia minora is larger or longer than the other, labiaplasty can help adjust the size to create a more balanced appearance.
- Correction of Irregularities: Labiaplasty can correct irregularities in the labia minora, such as excess tissue or uneven edges, creating a smoother and more symmetrical contour.
- Enhanced Comfort: Besides addressing aesthetic concerns, labiaplasty can also improve comfort for individuals who experience physical discomfort or irritation due to asymmetry or irregularities.
How does labiaplasty impact sexual sensation or satisfaction?
The impact of labiaplasty on sexual sensation or satisfaction can vary among individuals, and it’s important to approach this aspect with realistic expectations. Here are some considerations:
- No Consistent Evidence of Negative Impact: While there is no consistent evidence suggesting that labiaplasty negatively impacts sexual sensation, experiences can differ. Some individuals report improved confidence and reduced discomfort, potentially enhancing their overall sexual well-being.
- Positive Impact on Confidence: For individuals who were self-conscious or experienced discomfort due to labial asymmetry or irregularities, labiaplasty can positively impact self-esteem and body confidence, potentially contributing to improved sexual satisfaction.
- Improved Comfort: Labiaplasty can address physical discomfort or irritation that may have been present before the procedure, potentially leading to increased comfort during sexual activities.
- Communication with Surgeon: Discussing expectations and concerns with the surgeon during the consultation is crucial. A skilled surgeon will provide realistic information about potential outcomes and address any specific questions about the impact on sexual sensation.
Q: How can I find out more?
A: You can schedule a free consultation at one of our 9 Pittsburgh area locations by calling: 724-683-7581. Most women who have the procedure wonder why they waited so long. They experience increased confidence in their appearance and reduced discomfort from the rubbing of undergarments and during sexual intercourse.